Saturday, November 11, 2017

2017 11-11 Cross City to Palatka (101 miles)

Ok, so it is a long mile day, I’m fighting a head wind the entire day, and I did say I wouldn’t be writing a blog, but once in the habit of doing something it is hard to stop.  The morning started out very pleasantly.  Across the street from the hotel was an entrance to a fantastic bike path that lasted the first 20 miles of today’s ride.  It is nicely paved, peaceful, and there is no fear of traffic.  Then to add a touch of calm to the morning, I was presented with a good sunrise.  Who could ask for more?

Laving the bike path, things changed.  The head wind, not as obvious on the bike path due to the protecting influence of the trees, was relentless.  The road had good shoulders and moderate traffic, but it was going to be a long day of riding into the wind.

Finally made it to mile 80 and there it is - another bike path that looks like it should take me to the end of the ride.  Jumped on the path and headed about 2 miles into it when, ouch.  Ugly black mucky water is blocking the path and it doesn’t look passable.  Turn around and head back to the road.  That is when I meet Juanma and Sergio, two brothers from Spain, traveling across America on a tandem, and headed my way.  We road together the rest of the day, stayed at the same motel and ate dinner together.  They are a very interesting pair.  Sergio is blind and has autism.  He is very content traveling with his brother, Juanma, who takes excellent care of him.  The two seem very happy with their journey.  I had a good time getting to know them, and admire both of them for their accomplishment.

Tomorrow I will ride 31 miles to reach a Hertz car rental facility in St Augustine, my journey will be complete and I will start my long car ride home.




1 comment:

  1. I wish you a good ride to finish your great trip. Thank you for having so well presented your daily rides. Have a good ride home!

    ReplyDelete